Daycare Builds Mom Friendships, Too!

If you think that children are the only ones to benefit from a daycare or preschool program, think again!

While most of the studies surrounding childcare show that quality preschool programs give children a headstart in their schooling and social skills, there isn’t much research about the benefits of daycare for mothers.

Recently, University of Chicago sociologist Mario Small conducted a national survey of “3,500 mothers in 20 large U.S. cities, a survey of 300 childcare centers in New York City, 67 in-depth interviews with mothers who had enrolled their children in childcare, and 23 case studies and observations of specific childcare centers.”

Small discovered that mothers with children enrolled in childcare had fewer financial hardships, were less likely to experience non-clinical depression, and had greater friendships with other mothers of children enrolled at the same daycare. 

Interestingly, depression was 40% less in poor mothers and 60% less in wealthy mothers when their children were enrolled in a childcare center. When high-income mothers had friendships through childcare centers, their likelihood of material hardship was reduced by 40%.

Small even found that “hi and bye” friendships were valuable, as they identified other mothers as being trustworthy since their child was enrolled in the same center.

Additionally, Small found that “enrolling a child in childcare opened up a world of other resources: access to free healthcare through referrals to government-funded health programs that they might not otherwise have known about, help with finding housing and filing taxes, domestic abuse counseling, museum discounts, and referrals to resources like learning disability experts.”

Bright Start Louisville offers exceptional childcare to children six weeks to 12 years old. We’re proud to offer a fun and educational preschool program that prepares your child for kindergarten per state educational standards.

If you’re looking for excellent childcare that gives your child a head start in life, contact Bright Start Louisville today!